Alcohol Addiction Treatment Specialist in Columbus, OH
Our kind and compassionate professionals at MedSave Clinic help people struggling with alcohol addiction. Call us for more information or schedule an appointment online. We are conveniently located at 246 E Campus View Blvd. Columbus, OH 43235.
Table of Contents:
Is alcoholism a disease?
What are the signs of alcoholism?
Is alcoholism curable?
How does MedSave Clinic treat addiction?
Alcoholism affects the lives of millions of people every day. The effects of alcoholism go further than the destruction of the body and its organs; it also damages relationships with family and friends. Both the damage to the body and the interpersonal relationships can be irreversible, so it is imperative to seek help before these things take place.
The debate over whether alcoholism is a disease has been raging for nearly a century. First proposed by E.M. Jellinek in the 1940s, it is backed by modern neurologists and doctors as there are many similarities between alcoholism and other diseases. While many people are still adamant that alcoholism is not a disease, approaching it as a disease has been effective in its treatment and diagnosis.
Below is a list of 11 symptoms of alcoholism:
• You often drink alcohol in larger volumes or over longer periods than you intend
• You want to cut back on your consumption or control your alcohol use but your efforts may be unsuccessful
• You spend a lot of time acquiring alcohol, drinking it, and recovering from the effects of your drinking
• You have cravings for alcohol
• Your use of alcohol affects your ability to meet your obligations at work, school, or home
• You continue to use alcohol despite its leading to recurrent social or relationship problems
• Because of your use of alcohol, you give up or reduce your participation in important social, occupational, or recreational activities
• You use alcohol in situations where it puts you in physical harm (such as driving, operating machinery or performing surgery)
• You continue to use alcohol even though you are aware that you have a psychological or physical problem that is caused by or exacerbated by alcohol
• You experience alcohol tolerance, either by feeling diminished effects when drinking the same amount of alcohol or needing more alcohol to get intoxicated
• You experience withdrawal syndrome or prevent withdrawal symptoms by using alcohol or other substances
The severity of alcoholism depends on how many of these symptoms are experienced:
• If you have two or three symptoms, you may be diagnosed with a mild use disorder
• If you have four or five symptoms, you are likely to be diagnosed with a moderate alcohol use disorder
• If you have six or more symptoms, you have a severe alcohol use disorder, and it is very likely that you would be considered to be an alcoholic under the general use of the term
As alcoholism is classified as a chronic disease, meaning that it is viewed as a progressive, long-lasting illness, there is no cure. However, this does not mean there is no hope for long term recovery. There are other chronic diseases, such as diabetes or heart disease, which can be successfully managed with proper treatment. Alcoholism is no different. With proper treatment, alcoholism can be managed and overcome.
MedSave Clinic offers an outpatient program available for those in need. Our program is a new alternative to the standard 12-step program and offers patients a chance to find their own path to recovery. Anyone struggling with addition will reap the benefits of this unique and successful approach to addiction treatment.
If you or someone you know is affected by alcoholism, know that you are not alone. We offer alcohol addiction treatments that can help you on your road to recovery. Contact our office to talk with an expert today. To schedule an appointment at our clinic, visit us online or give us a call! We serve patients from Columbus OH, Clintonville OH, Northwest Columbus OH, Worthington OH, Orange OH, and Harlem OH.
Additional Services You May Be Interested In
▸ Drug and Alcohol Addiction Treatment
▸ Behavioural Counseling
▸ Primary Care
▸ Hepatitis C
▸ Mental Health/Psychiatry Services
▸ On-Site Dietician
▸ Pain Management
▸ Liver Disease Treatment
▸ Holistic and Alternative Medicine
▸ Walk-in Clinic Urgent Care Services
▸ Opioid Addiction
▸ Prescription Weight Loss
▸ Covid Testing